Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Whose directions are we following?

Drawing on her experience as a learner driver, CATHERINE WYLES looks at the basic theory and practicals of being a Christian

MY first few driving lessons took place in an empty car park. But, after graduating to second gear, I was allowed out on the road for the first time.


Driving round the car park was easy compared with driving on a proper road. Up until then I had endangered only myself and my poor, harassed instructor. But now other cars were coming at me from all directions and at all speeds.

It was no longer just me that I had to worry about; now I had to deal with other people too. I was thankful that my driving instructor could show me how to respond to each situation.

How we respond is important not only when we are behind the wheel of a car. The way we deal with other people is one of the more challenging aspects of learning how to live as a Christian.

We can discover some principles from Jesus' teaching. He told us, for example, to forgive other people when they make our lives unhappy, to refrain from outbursts of anger and, if we have a husband or wife, to be faithful to them.

Knowing what Jesus said is one thing, but doing it is another. There are times when we don't know how to respond to situations or when we respond in the wrong way.

Just as I needed the instructor by my side to help me in my driving, so we could do with a guide to help us avoid oncoming problems in our lives as Christians.

Jesus promises his followers that they can receive that kind of help through his Holy Spirit.

The early Christian Paul wrote that the Spirit enables people to develop certain qualities: ‘The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, good­ness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control' (Galatians 5:22 Good News Bible).

If we follow the Holy Spirit's guidance, we will develop qualities that will help us in our relationships and change them for the better. We will have self-control so that we don't lose our temper. We will have kindness so that we treat people with respect and care. We will have patience so that we wait for other people to do things in their own way.

Difficult situations can become opportunities for Jesus to direct us and change us.

If we follow his guidance, he can keep us on the right track.

War Cry 13 February 2010 - TSA UK

No comments :