Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ending On A High

The Book of Psalms contains everything from praise and wonder at God’s creation to desperate prayers for help and guidance. In this series, we have looked at nine prayers of praise, penance and petition.

Many psalms start with a clear statement of faith and confidence in the Almighty. For example, Psalm 25 begins: ‘In you, Lord my God, I put my trust’ (New International Version). Psalm 27 takes it further: ‘The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?’

But, as we also discover, life doesn’t always go according to plan. Difficult experiences sometimes cause the psalmist’s faith to dip for a while. So it is that Psalm 86 does not begin confidently but with the plea: ‘Hear me.’

However, whatever the circumstances, the writer of that psalm never doubts God’s existence. He believes that God will hear his prayers and answer them in his own good time, according to his divine will and purpose.

Neither does he stop his dialogue with God. He may question what is happening to him and ask what God is doing about his problems, but, as he prays, he is reminded of God’s goodness and mercy in his life: ‘You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you. Hear my prayer, Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me’ (86:5-7).

And so the crisis passes, confidence is restored, and once more he is able to sing a hymn of praise: ‘For you are great and do marvellous deeds; you alone are God’ (86:10).

Are the Psalms relevant for us today?

Our modern-day dilemmas may seem very different from Old Testament living, but human nature doesn’t change. We have the same worries, family troubles, disappointments and heartaches - but we also have the same reliable, comforting, loving God to help us face them. If we would like to talk to him about something, we can be assured that he is only a prayer away.

UK & Ireland War Cry June 2013
Photo credit: War Cry pictures