Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Church Is Like A Service Station

Middle-age spread. When I was younger, this was something I thought would never happen to me. More recently, though, I have noticed that my midriff has implemented plans for expansion. I intend to fight those plans. I’m told the best way to do this is through more exercise and watching what I eat. However, as someone who used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not put on an ounce in weight, diets are a whole new world to me.

I could, of course, join a slimming group. There I would be guided as to the best way to lose a few pounds, be able to read books that would help me and meet like-minded people who also wanted to lose weight. We could support and encourage each other in our dieting quest. Whether it is through dieting, going to the gym or joining a rambling club, many of us find it more enjoyable and beneficial to do things with a group of people.

Many Christians take the same approach with regards to church. Going to church gives them the opportunity to spend time with like-minded people who share their faith and who can encourage them to develop it further. When they go to church they find they are given guidance on how best to live a Christian life. They read the Bible and find it helps them to understand God better.

But that is not all. Going to church is far more than attending a social club for self-improvement. It is also a time when, collectively, Christians worship and connect with Jesus Christ, knowing that he is with them. Jesus said: ‘Where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them’ (Matthew 18:20 New International Version).

Meeting together with Jesus and other Christians brings a new dimension to a person’s experience of praising and worshipping the living, creator God. It is possible to try to be a Christian and not go to church - but it is so much better to have other people to support and encourage us and to know that Jesus is there too.

UK & Ireland War Cry

No comments :