Wednesday, July 29, 2015

BEING A FRIEND

When Jesus told His disciples, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends,” He was literally describing His upcoming death on the cross to save humanity. The subsequent events proved that He was willing to give up everything for us, His friends. Jesus’ love is perfect and His friendship is perfect.
I’ve sometimes wondered what my actions would be if I were in a situation where I could save a life by giving my own; but of course I know it’s not so likely that I’ll ever be tested in such a dramatic way. The challenges I’m likely to face are more prosaic, and the opportunities for “laying down my life” that come my way are more mundane.
Do I hang out with my friend who’s going through a rough patch and isn’t particularly fun to be around at that time, or do I make excuses and try to avoid him? Do I visit my friend when she’s sick—not just once at the beginning, but regularly, if needed? If I got a ticket to a big game, but my friend didn’t, would I be willing to give it to him? When my friend gets an incredible work or vacation opportunity, am I genuinely happy and excited for her, or am I jealous of her good fortune? When my friends’ choices of restaurants or activities are different from what I would have liked, do I always expect them to accommodate my wishes?
Opportunities like these for “unexciting” sacrifices come up on a daily basis and are more valid tests of my character than hypothetical life-and-death drama. I’ve certainly not arrived yet, and working on this issue of Activated has inspired me to try harder to be the kind of friend who, as the Bible says, “loves at all times.”
John 13:34-35 ESV / A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Galatians 6:10 ESV / So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
James 2:14-17 ESV / What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

No comments :