Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Wave

One morning when I was at wits’ end, I checked my email and saw that a friend had sent me a video clip. It turned out to be a collection of relaxing beach scenes, with soft instrumental music playing in the background. The waves washing on the shore reminded me of the peaceful beauty of God’s creation, and the gentle, repetitive sight and sound of the surf rolling onto the sand soothed my spirit.
When I had calmed down enough to think more clearly, it dawned on me that most waves are the result of winds out at sea, turbulence. There is continual movement as each wave builds over time and distance. It picks up speed and breaks when it reaches the shallows. It stretches along the warm sand until it is just a thin sheet. Then, slowly and silently, it retreats back into the sea. On and on it goes—building, breaking, spreading, and returning in an endless cycle.
The winds of adversity can create some pretty big waves, like the ones that had engulfed me that morning. I felt buffeted and agitated, but it helped to remember that they were only for a time. Each trouble would run its course, retreat, and fade away. Peace and order would return. And they did.
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 ESV – We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.
Philippians 4:12-13 ESV – I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV – But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments :