Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Rainy Day Remedy

As far back as I can remember, I didn’t like cloudy days, especially in wintertime. They seemed endless and without hope, chilling both body and soul.
Still, they are a part of life, so I decided to learn to like them.
Over the past few years I’ve managed to enjoy them more. Now they don’t seem so dreary. My secret? Actually I have several.
Sometimes I take advantage of those days to bake a cake, cookies, or something else special to enjoy with coffee. The entire house smells of freshly brewed coffee and homemade goodies, and that creates a warm, satisfied feeling.
I’ve also learned that I can help brighten the day by what I wear, like a favorite brightly colored sweater or a little extra jewelry.
Most of all I’ve learned to thank God for those days. I’m still not crazy about them, but I’m healthy, in a house without leaks, and I have a nice warm bed, food on the table, and somebody to enjoy my blessings with.
Not too long ago, I was out on one of those days. Although it was overcast, I didn’t expect it to actually rain. Mid-morning, 25 blocks from home, I was caught in a downpour. I found some partial shelter and waited there for an hour for the rain to stop. When it didn’t, I decided to make my way home. Better to be home and wet than stuck there and wet, I reasoned. By the time I got home I was sure I had more water in my clothes and hair than was left in the clouds. One hot shower and lunch put it all behind me. I felt wonderful.
When I had been caught in the cold and rain, I had prayed for all the people who are the victims of disaster. Not disasters like burning the chicken or having their hair color turn out all wrong—I mean real disasters. Disasters like being left homeless by a tornado, with no hot shower, dry clothes, or warm meal to set things right. Or just as bad, people having everything they thought would make them happy, but still feeling empty, lonely, fragile.
When bad weather or some other circumstance has you down, praying for someone else who has it worse puts things in perspective and does the soul good, like a hot shower warms the body after getting caught in the rain. Praying for someone who is suffering, alone, or powerless to change some other unfortunate circumstance not only sends divine help their way, it also lifts the spirit, like the smell of freshly brewed coffee and homemade cookies.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.—W. Clement Stone
Revelation 1:6 ESV / And made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 1:3 ESV / Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Psalm 109:30 ESV / With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord; I will praise him in the midst of the throng.

No comments :