Sunday, May 7, 2017

Life Happens

Sometimes, at the most unexpected times, we get little revelations that clarify perspective, give insight, and recharge our faith. I got one of those the other day.
It had been a long few months financially speaking, and now our vehicle was in the repair shop. As I waited for my husband to call me with the cost estimate, I asked God why this was happening to us now, of all times. “We’re already struggling,” I pleaded. “How can we afford an expensive repair on our vehicle?”
The reply I got was simply, “Sometimes, in life, these things just happen.”
It was not the comforting “I will put an end to this struggle” reassurance I had hoped for, but I didn’t feel that God’s reply was harsh or that He was amused by our predicament. He was simply stating the fact that life is full of challenges, unexpected misfortunes, and disappointment. It happens, and we get through it.
I have always wanted the easy way. I’m quite fine with being rescued before things get too bad. That would be ideal, but it’s not always what God has in mind. He was telling me that there isn’t always going to be a miracle, a magic bullet, or a free pass that allows me to skip the tough parts. It’s not that He can’t do the miracle, if that’s what’s needed, but He’s not a bailout for tough times. What He sometimes chooses to provide is the ability to soldier through—the grace, strength, joy, and stamina to work my way through the disappointments, struggles, and less-than-ideal happenings.
Of course, I can’t just accept everything that happens as “God’s will” and put up no fight, allowing myself and my family to become victims of happenstance. But when God’s message is, “Honey, you have to go through this one,” then I need to quit hoping for a way out and start trusting for a way through.
To be honest, I know that I need these times. I don’t like them, but I need them. These circumstances take my faith from a lovely “shelf” faith to a more practical “street” faith. It’s not as mystical, but a lot more real.
PS: We did have to pay a large repair bill that prolonged our financial struggles. It wasn’t ideal or how we would have preferred things to be, but I’m amazed at what that little word from the Lord did for my perspective on the situation. Just realizing that these things happen and that people get through them helped to vanquish the fear.
Romans 12:21 ESV / Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
John 16:33 ESV / I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
James 1:19-20 ESV / Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

No comments :