Friday, July 7, 2017

TRUE QUIETNESS

Some time ago, I found myself facing a situation that was beyond my ability to resolve. Alone in the stillness of the night, I racked my brain for a solution and finally sent up a prayer for direction.
As I lay on my bed, waiting to hear an answer, there was only silence. My patience started to wear thin, and just as I was about to get up for a glass of water, the still small voice spoke: Are you sure you are being totally quiet and still?
Of course I am! I beamed back. I’ve been lying here all this time, perfectly still and silent, hearing absolutely nothing. The silence is driving me nuts!
Your body may be perfectly still and silent, God said, but what about your mind?
Just like that, I quickly and clearly saw why I felt so exhausted, in spite of my outward stillness and quietness. Inwardly, I was racked with mental anxiety, trying to come up with the answers I needed.
I finally put on the brakes in my mind, gradually slowing down until I came to a complete stop. I’d had no idea how fast my mind had been racing. It felt good to now be mentally still, and I savored the peace that flooded me as my heart and mind began to relax. In my new state of mind, I was also able to savor the silence, every minute of it.
I eventually received the answers I sought, but not before discovering that true “quietness and confidence” is that of the heart and mind, not just the body.
By nature, I am active mentally, always planning, analyzing, reflecting, and pondering—and yes, I do my share of worrying and fretting as well. This experience is one that I have had to repeat a fair few times in my life, as God continues to remind me that true quietness and stillness is that of the heart and spirit. This is the type of quietness that allows God to move on our behalf. Through it, battles are won, needs are provided, and answers are found. Most important of all, our relationship with Jesus is strengthened, and our connection with Him is made clearer.
2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV / Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
Psalm 51:12 ESV / Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Romans 12:2 ESV / Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

No comments :