Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Because You Can

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
The first time I read these words, I remember thinking they didn’t make sense. That was going to change.
My mom and I had gotten on a bus, and as we walked down the aisle looking for two empty seats together, I noticed a young mother with a toddler and a baby. The toddler was obviously bored, and his mother was struggling to keep him seated while also trying to make her baby more comfortable.
We took seats directly behind them, and I selected a playlist on my MP3 player, hoping to tune out the distraction and enjoy the ride. But soon the baby’s whimpers turned to loud crying. I was getting annoyed.
The young mother looked stressed and embarrassed, but was that any of my business? No one else on the bus seemed to think it was any of theirs—except for my mom, who went and sat next to the struggling mother.
They had been talking for a few minutes when the woman turned in her seat. Tears were streaming down her cheek. I turned off my MP3 player and leaned in closer to hear what she was saying.
She was making the three-hour bus ride with her children in order to visit her husband, who was in jail. She was out of money and hadn’t been able to buy milk for the baby or lunch for herself and her son. I wondered if Mom believed her. Some people will say anything for a handout.
Mom reached into her purse and produced an apple, which she handed to the little boy. Then she pressed some money into the woman’s hand.
“Marianne,” she said, turning to me, “these people are changing buses at the same station as we are. Can you help the little boy?”
I looked at his dirty hair and stained clothes. Couldn’t he just follow on his own?Then another line from that poem came to me.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
The bus stopped, and I bent down and scooped the little boy into my arms. It might not mean anything to him, but I could still choose to do good. I could show love anyway.
“Thanks,” the little fellow said, laying his head on my shoulder. We saw them to their next bus and waved as they pulled out.
Now I understand. Love gives because it can.
John 13:34 ESV – A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
Hebrews 13:1-2 ESV – Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Psalm 119:132-136 ESV – Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name. Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me. Redeem me from man’s oppression, that I may keep your precepts. Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes. My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law.

No comments :