Friday, November 1, 2019

I am happy to treat you as My child, and I hope you will call Me Father.

Jeremiah 3:19 New International Version (NIV)

19 “I myself said,
“‘How gladly would I treat you like my children
    and give you a pleasant land,
    the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.’
I thought you would call me ‘Father’
    and not turn away from following me.

In the Old Testament, God is revealed by many names. There are actually over 300 different names that refer to God with the name 'Father' being one of them. I believe that this passage of Scripture truly reveals God's amazing heart to be a Father to Israel.

The NIV Bible says it this way...
"I myself said, " 'How gladly would I treat you like sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.' I thought you would call me 'Father' and not turn away from following me. (NIV)

When I read this passage of Scripture, I feel the longing that God has to be a father to us. How happy He is to treat us like sons and how He hopes that we would call Him 'Father'. Though God is revealed by many names in the Old Testament, Jesus primarily revealed God as Father in the New Testament.

Through Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, we have the opportunity to call Him our Father now! In John 20:17, after just coming out of the tomb, Jesus summarizes His heart after His resurrection this way... Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (WEB)

The longing in your Father's heart is that you would call Him 'Father'. May today be the day when this revelation of His fathering nature goes deeper into your heart than ever before.

No comments :