Saturday, December 28, 2019

Delight in Me and I will give you the longings of your heart.

Psalm 37:4 New International Version (NIV)

Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

In today's promise, King David is making the declaration that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our hearts. I have always been intrigued by this Bible verse because to me, it is saying that if I focus on and enjoy my relationship with God, that He will give me the deep longings of my heart.

I think many people struggle to even know what the deep desires of their hearts truly are. I am not talking about temporal spur-of-the-moment desires, but the deep longings that we have in the core of our being. What good works were we created to do? What gives life to the depths of our soul? If we believe that God loves us the way He made us, we will be convinced that He has placed within us desires that He wants to fulfill.

In Philippians 2:13, it says... for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (NIV) I believe this verse tells us that God actually uses the desires of our heart to fulfill His good purpose for us. St. Augustine, one of the early church fathers said it this way... “Love God and do what you will.”

I truly believe that the more we love God and enjoy His fellowship, the more we will get in touch with our heart's desires. And the more we get in touch with our heart's desires, the easier it will be to live a life flowing from our heart instead of our head.

May today be another day where we go deeper into the simple delights of being in relationship with the One who is absolute and complete love. And may today be a day where He brings into fulfillment the secret longings that He has placed in each one of our hearts.

No comments :