Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What happens when we fail?

WHEN Rachel left home to move into a flat, her father Geoff told her: ‘If you ever need me for anything, just ring. I'll be there.'

Some time later Rachel went out for the evening, but at the end of the night discovered that she had no way of getting home. She thought she had 10 in her purse for a taxi. She did not. She remembered what her father had said and gave him a call.

Geoff had just got in from working late. It had been a hard day, and he was exhausted. He told Rachel that he was sorry, but he couldn't fetch her.

The next phone call he had was from the hospital. Rachel had been mugged walking home and was being treated for a broken nose and other injuries.

Geoff was devastated. He couldn't even face visiting Rachel in hospital. He felt that he had let her down.

As soon as she could, Rachel went to see him. The first thing she said to him was: ‘Don't worry, Dad. I forgive you.'

‘But I should have come to get you. You were mugged because I didn't come.'

‘That's true. But you're my dad. I still love you. I know you wouldn't let someone hurt me on purpose.'

‘But you'll never trust me again, will you? You'll never phone me for help again. You'll always remember this.'

‘No, Dad. I'd phone you any time. You won't let it happen again,' she assured him.

It's easy to say the right thing; doing the right thing is harder. So what happens when we fail?

Only a short time before Jesus was arrested, one of his followers, Peter, gave him an assurance: ‘I will never leave you, even though all the rest do!' (Mark 14:29 Good News Bible). Within a few hours, as Jesus faced execution, Peter was telling people that he had never seen the man before, that he didn't know him.

What could follow such a betrayal? After he was raised from death, Jesus made sure Peter knew that he was forgiven. And he entrusted Peter with the task of helping to spread his message.

When all is said and done, we are only human. We will make promises we don't keep. People will feel hurt and betrayed. But there is always forgiveness available from Jesus. We can be like Peter and accept the chance to start again.

War Cry 27 March 2010 - TSA UK.


No comments :