Friday, June 10, 2016

Contentment

“Having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.” Those words went through my mind as I washed the breakfast dishes. Was that even possible? Could I actually be satisfied having nothing but food and clothes? The apostle Paul wrote, “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.” Not me. There have definitely been times when I wished I had some of the extras I saw others enjoying. I haven’t always been satisfied. How could I be satisfied with only food and clothes? I asked myself as I finished the dishes.
As if in answer to my question, my attention was drawn to my seven-month-old niece, Kylie, as she played quietly and happily gummed a slice of apple. Now she definitely looked content—the perfect picture of peace and tranquility. But what in the world did she have? A diaper and a slice of apple, yet she was perfectly happy.
I had my answer. Kylie wasn’t worried about whether or not she would have food tomorrow or if she would run out of diapers. She had her food, she had her clothes, and she was perfectly content, trusting her mother to take care of her and give her exactly what she needed, when she needed it.
I should be the same way, I realized—happy and satisfied with what God gives me, and trusting God that He will take care of me and give me the things that I truly need. And now I am. I have not only food and clothing and other material comforts, but I have things that many millions of people in the world don’t have. I have Jesus and His gift of salvation. I have my family, my health, friends. I have little Kylie who loves me no matter what. I really do have all that I need. I am truly content!
Philippians 4:11-12 ESV – Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
1 Timothy 6:6-8 ESV – Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
Luke 12:15 ESV – And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

No comments :