Friday, June 3, 2016

Walking On the Great Orme

The day dawned fine as I set out to walk up the Great Orme, a limestone headland on the north coast of Wales. I walked along cheerfully in glorious sunshine, map in hand. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
The road upon which I walked led me around the edge of the headland. The gentle sea breeze was invigorating at first, but soon a wind blew up over the sea and storm clouds gathered overhead. In minutes my coat was becoming heavy with rain. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
A little less cheerful now but hopeful that the weather would improve, I continued my walk. Optimism was rewarded; the sun came out, and soon I was carrying my coat over my arm, basking once more in warm sunshine. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
The map directed me off the road and onto a narrow track that wended through fields and bushes. I made my way up stony stretches, my legs beginning to ache as the climb grew steeper. Sheep grazed on stubbly grass. Seagulls gathered on the rocks below before soaring high on gentle updrafts. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
The time passed pleasantly until at last I reached the summit. The view was magnificent—the mountains of Wales to one side, the open sea to the other. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
My return route was by a different path. Despite studying the map, after some time I was dismayed to realize that I was going around in circles rather than descending. I was also getting weary and starting to worry whether I was going to make it back to my hotel before the sun set. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
I crossed paths with an experienced walker—a local man out with his dogs. He showed me a short, direct route. I was still tired, but invigorated by the expectation of arriving back before dark. The Great Orme stood firm, unchanged.
The highs and lows of the walk of faith are much like my day on the Great Orme. Our faith may reach high ground or descend into valleys, and sometimes we are buffeted by the storms of life or wearied by the journey, but no matter how we feel, God’s Word, the foundation upon which our faith is built, stands firm, unchanged.
Hebrews 11:6 ESV – And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
Mark 11:22-24 ESV – And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
1 Corinthians 2:5 ESV – That your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

No comments :