Friday, September 8, 2017

INVESTING IN FOREVER

Giving up some of the things we enjoy or desire can seem like a sacrifice, but when we get to heaven and see things in proper perspective, we’ll be ashamed that we didn’t make those little sacrifices more cheerfully.
Even now I feel bad, remembering little jobs I weaseled out of, arguments I had to have the last word in, times I made sure to get the biggest piece of pie. I’m beginning to see how temporary those things were, and that the things that have really counted were the times I gave up some free time to help someone out, the times I let a mean comment pass without answering back, the times I helped someone save face, and the times I saved that biggest piece of pie for someone else. Giving up these inconsequential things doesn’t seem like such a sacrifice anymore, when I consider that I’m investing in forever.
Because I have been given much,
I, too, must give:
Because of Thy great bounty, Lord,
Each day I live
I shall divide my gifts from Thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered, fed,
By Thy good care,
I cannot see another’s lack
And I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
My roof’s safe shelter overhead,
That he, too, may be comforted.
Because love has been lavished so
Upon me, Lord,
A wealth I know that was not meant
For me to hoard,
I shall give love to those in need,
Shall show that love by word and deed,
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.
—Grace Noll Crowell (1877–1969)
Galatians 5:22 ESV / But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Ephesians 4:32 ESV / Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Luke 6:35 ESV / But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.

No comments :