Wednesday, September 20, 2017

THE CLEAN PLATYPUS

Some days seem magical—things go well, I try some new ideas, I have something to show for the hours I’ve spent at various tasks. Then there are other times when I get to the end of the day struggling to find something of note that I accomplished. Sure, the kids were fed and dressed, they did their home-learning activities, they played in the park … but I still feel I want more. I want to be able to check off several things from my long to-do list. I want to be able to say I made leaps of progress. But rather than that, I feel like I’m falling further behind in so many areas of life.
At the end of a long day a few months back, I was trying to push off the weight of despondency from having so much to take care of, with problems piling up faster than I could keep up with. Then I walked into the bathroom and found Patrick (two years old) had taken his soft, fuzzy, stuffed platypus, filled up the sink, given it a good wash, and now had poured baking soda (which I use for cleaning the sink) all over it.
I didn’t need more messes to clean up. But it did look kinda cute, so I chuckled to myself, thinking, Even though I can’t seem to get around to any of my other goals, at least the platypus is clean!
Later, as I looked at the children, happy, cozy in bed, waiting for their bedtime story, I decided to change my criteria for “accomplishment” and a “good day.”
Now I go down a new list and see how many “checks” I can put.
• Did I help my children smile today?
• Was I patient when things didn’t go smoothly?
• Did I show each son that I loved him personally?
• Was I available to help, listen, and encourage, even at the cost of not “getting something done”?
• Did I pray for someone today?
• Did I laugh and choose to take things in stride when I felt like I was being pushed over the edge?
Tomorrow’s another day. Eventually the to-do list will work out. Plod. Breathe. Smile. Plod. Breathe. Smile. We’ll get there, eventually, wherever “there” is actually meant to be.
Matthew 6:33 ESV / But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Romans 12:2 ESV / Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Luke 12:34 ESV / For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

No comments :