Saturday, February 24, 2018

THE RIGHT CHOICE

The summer when I was twelve, my father surprised my younger sister and me by
announcing that he had a different plan for our summer holiday. Instead of planning
our vacation, he gave us the money that he had set aside and let us decide what to
do with it. We could save it, spend it as we pleased, or use it for a five-day vacation at
the lake. After some discussion and prayer, my sister and I told Dad that we wanted
to go on the lakeside vacation.
But immediately after making the decision, I felt a cloud of doubt descend. Suppose I
had not made the best choice? Perhaps the money would have been better spent on
something else? Then a series of severe typhoons and family emergencies forced us
to delay our vacation until the next summer, which added fuel to my worries. Maybe
this was all too much hassle?
When I voiced my feelings to Dad, he assured me that while I was free to change my
mind, fears and doubts were a natural part of making decisions. “Just because you
feel uncertain doesn’t mean you’ve made the wrong choice,” he said. Encouraged by
his words, I decided to wait and trust God to work everything out in His time. Sure
enough, a year later we were enjoying the time of our lives at the lake!
But I brought home more than happy memories and mementos; the experience
taught me important lessons that have since helped me many times when I faced
bigger and more important decisions with higher stakes.
I learned that hardly any decision can be made without taking a risk; yet being willing
to take that risk is crucial to arriving at a wise choice. Having difficulty reaching a
decision—and feeling worried or uncertain about it afterwards—is natural, and a wild
storm of emotions is not an indication that I should not have made the voyage or that
my boat will sink. God is both my anchor and my compass. I can trust Him to not only
steady me but to also guide me to His perfect destination, as His Word promises: “In
all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

No comments :