Thursday, April 24, 2014

Disquiet On The Western Front

Even though I had been a First World War tourist for only a few hours, by the time I reached Ypres my soul was shell-shocked. Arriving too early for the daily act of remembrance for the war dead at the Menin Gate, I ended up at the cathedral.


On entering, I saw various depictions of Jesus’ crucifixion. The raw brutality seemed strangely in keeping with all the slaughter on Flanders Fields. Soldier and Saviour had shared the experience of what war does to a person. As I left the church, I was confronted with a larger-than-life crucifix, positioned at floor level.

In my imagination, I was transported back 2,000 years and was standing on a hill just outside Jerusalem. I tried to conjure up the scene, hear the sounds and sense the atmosphere as men were being put to death in front of my eyes. Surrounding me were Roman soldiers, religious leaders, excited crowds, Jesus’ frightened friends and heartbroken mother.

Then, I noticed underneath the nailed feet of Jesus there was a collection box. It seemed so out of place; somehow, so wrong. I was offended but not sure why. Maybe it is because I know I cannot buy or earn my salvation. Forgiveness and eternal life are gifts from God.

The Bible reminds me that ‘it is by grace you have been saved, through faith… it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast’ (Ephesians 2:8, 9 New International Version).
God is not impressed by my bank balance, good deeds, charitable giving or lifetime achievements. Even if I put them all together, they are not good enough to atone for my wrongdoing. It is through trusting in Jesus that God saves us - not as a reward but as a gift.

When I think about the generosity of such grace, I realise that my gratitude cannot be contained within a collection box. I have to find a greater way to express it.

by Ron Thomlinson

UK & Ireland War Cry 19 April 2014