Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lent Bible Reading Series - 15th April 2014

Bible Reading – Matthew 26: 6-13

Thy Kingdom come,

‘They shall come from the east, they shall come from the west and sit down in Kingdom of God, Both the rich and the poor, the despised the distressed’. This line from the pen of John Gowans came to my mind as I pictured the scene that Matthew describes. The host is named as ‘Simon the Leper’! What a name to be given, was he one of the lepers Jesus healed? The woman who poured oil, is not named by Matthew; (John’s gospel names the woman as Mary the sister of Martha.) It has been suggested that the unnamed woman was Mary Magdalene, out of whom Jesus cast seven demons. Whoever she is, she was certainly a very brave woman, who recognised Jesus as her Lord and King, demonstrating this by pouring oil on his head. Each, by their actions and devotion would be included in the Kingdom of God.


Pray:

• I will offer up my life in spirit and truth,
Pouring out the oil of love as my worship to you.
In surrender I must give my every part;
Lord, receive the sacrifice of a broken heart.
Jesus what can I give, what can I bring to so faithful a friend,
 To so loving a King? Saviour, what can be said, what can be sung,
As a praise of your name for the things you have done?
Oh, my words could not tell, not even in part,
Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart.
(Matt Redman)