Monday, August 15, 2016

How Prayer Benefits You

There are so many benefits to spending time with God that you really can’t afford not to. He can help you solve every problem, answer your every question, heal all your heartaches, comfort you when you’re sorrowful, give you joy, and bring you closer to heaven. The list is endless.
Prayer changes things. It’s one means by which God gives His children what they need or want, as long as it’s good for them and others. “Whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”
Time spent in quiet reflection builds inner strength that will carry you through life’s toughest times. “In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul.”
You will find rest and renewal when your spirit is sagging and your mind is troubled. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Once you have committed a matter to God in prayer, you can have the assurance that He will take care of it as He knows best. “We know that all things work together for good to those who love God.”
You will find comfort in times of sadness and grief, reassurance when you’re down, and courage to go on when you think you can’t. Jesus will help you see your troubles in proper perspective, as He sees them, and give you peace of mind. “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” “In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.”
As you receive and apply the things the Lord shows you, you will become wiser. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
Jesus will guide you through the maze of life. He will help you know what to do when you face problems and tough decisions. He has promised to instruct you, establish your thoughts, and guide your steps. “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”
He will inspire you with good ideas. “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” Jesus will prevent some problems from happening by warning you in advance, and give you solutions to others. “Whoever listens to Me will dwell safely, and will be secure, without fear of evil.”
You can be healed physically. “The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up.”
You can be forgiven for wrongdoing. “I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.”
You will gain insight into the natural world as well as the spiritual realm. “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him. But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.”
Prayer draws on the power of God, so you will be able to accomplish more, and do so more easily. “He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. … Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”
You will have greater peace of mind. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
You can claim God’s supply of your material needs. “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.”
Jesus will open to you the treasures of His Word if you will pray, as King David did, “Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law.”
You can get the Lord’s help even when you don’t know what to ask for. “We do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us.”
John 15:7 ESV – If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
Matthew 18:19-20 ESV – Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.
Luke 18:1 ESV – And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.

No comments :