Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Aurora Phenomenon 2016 August, Daily Devotionals 2

The aurora borealis, also called the northern lights, is one of the most magical sights of the night sky. When I lived in Iceland, I saw it many times. One memory stands out.
It was February 2009, and I was about to leave Iceland to join another volunteer project in Ireland. I had spent most of the day trying to make arrangements to send my belongings ahead, and it hadn’t gone well. Each phone call to find out customs procedures had ended in frustration.
As the day went on, things seemed to go from bad to worse. Even a walk in the park had ended badly when I tripped and injured my knee. By the evening I was in tears and could hardly make sense of my thoughts. I knew I’d feel better if I could manage to look at things from the bright side, but I couldn’t find anything to be positive about. How could I be thankful when darkness was all around? How could I find something to be thankful for when everyone was telling me why the things I was trying to accomplish wouldn’t work out?
Just then the phone rang. It was a friend calling to tell me that she had heard there would be a magnificent aurora that night. Since I was leaving in a few days, it would probably be my last chance to see one for a while.
I grabbed my coat, called another friend, and off we drove to a spot outside of town, where the city lights wouldn’t diminish the effect. It was colder and windier out there, but the view would make up for that.
As we sat and watched vibrant pinks and greens and blues dance across the night sky, new thoughts came to me. These natural light displays are mostly seen near the poles, where it gets very cold and dark. Getting the best view usually involves some hardship or sacrifice.
In that remote spot, I was surrounded by darkness and cold, but the aurora was at its most brilliant. My overall situation hadn’t changed, but my heart danced to its gentle rhythm. In what seemed like the darkest hour, God had not only lit up my world and given me something to be thankful for, but He had reminded me once more that every dark night has a beautiful view if we will only look up.
John 1:5 ESV – The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 11:10 ESV – But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.
Luke 1:79 ESV – To give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

No comments :