Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Parcel

How many times have most parents wanted to buy a toy for their child “just because”? It wasn’t a special occasion or something the child needed or had even asked for—but the parent knew the child would enjoy it and wanted him or her to have it.
I faced such a situation with my 19-month-old son Logan recently. I’m not sure why I had set my heart on getting him a rocking horse. Maybe it was because his favorite video included a scene with children on rocking horses, or maybe it was because every time we went to a nearby toy store the salesperson would invite him to play on one of the display horses, and he never fussed when it was time to go. To tell you the truth, he didn’t seem as attached to that rocking horse as I was, but I couldn’t stop thinking how nice it would be for him to have it.
The problem was that it cost more than I could afford. I tried telling myself that children grow out of toys quickly and that Logan might not even play with it much, but the desire to get him one persisted.
One evening Logan and I were looking at pictures of toys, and there was a rocking horse. On impulse I suggested, “Let’s pray for Jesus to give you a horse like this one.” After a short but sincere prayer, I felt I had done what I could, and I soon forgot about the matter.
A few days later, we got a large parcel from some friends who had said they were going to send some clothes for the children. I had expected a small box, but what came was massive.
I opened the box and started to go through it. Imagine my surprise when I saw, buried under clothes and small toys, a wooden rocking horse that was the perfect size for Logan. I could hardly believe my eyes. Then I remembered our prayer a few days earlier. God had used this incident to inspire our faith.
Every time I see the horse I realize once more how much God loves us—enough to supply not only our needs, but also our wants.
Hebrews 13:5 ESV – Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Philippians 4:19 ESV – And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 23:1 ESV – A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

No comments :