Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Way To Channel Our Emotions

Why do Christians pray?
 
I’m embarrassed to say it, but I’ve reached a stage in my life when I answer back to the television. I contradict interviewees when I disagree with their point of view and tell quiz show contestants they are daft because I can answer the question that they can’t.

I don’t know why I’m embarrassed by this, because programmes such as Channel 4’s 
Gogglebox prove that, for many of us, watching television is an interactive pastime. (Besides, how many armchair football fans shouted encouragement at their team during the World Cup this summer!)

The reality is, though, as well as annoying anyone watching with us, talking to the television is a waste of time. The people on the screen cannot hear us. It makes no difference. We might just as well talk to ourselves.

To some people, praying seems just as pointless. They think it is just talking out loud to nobody in particular and without any result – so why bother?

Christians believe that prayer connects a person with a loving God who hears their every word, reads their every thought and responds.

Christians know that God wants to hear people speak to him through prayer and that they can go to him about anything on their mind. Nothing is too small or too big.

In one passage in the Bible, God says: ‘I was ready to answer my people’s prayers, but they did not pray. I was ready for them to find me, but they did not even try. The nation did not pray to me, even though I was always ready to answer, “Here I am; I will help you”’ (Isaiah 65:1 Good News Bible).

We are not limited, however, to praying only for ourselves. 
We can also pray for other people and know that God can help them.

God always hears when we talk to him. In his way and in his time, he also answers.

UK & Ireland War Cry August 2014

No comments :