Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Positive Programming

Most of us battle negative thinking at some point in our lives.

We put ourselves down for real or imagined faults and weaknesses, or we compare ourselves negatively to others. The use of positive statements that you can repeat to yourself is a proven technique for overcoming that negativity.

Our thoughts shape our attitude, our attitude shapes our actions, and our actions help to shape our future. A changed life begins with a change in thinking. The Bible instructs, “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” You set that process in motion by filling your mind with godly, positive thoughts. “Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things … and the God of peace will be with you.”

The key is believing that what you are affirming is possible, because once you believe that a certain thing is possible, it is. “If you can believe, all things are possible.” It takes practice to focus on the positive, but in time you will see results in a happier, more secure life.

The Bible is filled with positive affirmations. As we learn to apply those to ourselves and everyday situations, we begin to see ourselves and life more as God does, and that is reflected in our thoughts and behavior.

Here are a few examples to get you started. We are all different and have different needs, so choose the ones that seem to apply the most to you, or come up with some of your own.

• Whether or not I feel capable of this task, I am going to do my best and trust Jesus to do the rest. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).

• I made a mistake today, but I’m determined to learn from it, get up, and try again. “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand” (Psalm 37:23–24).

• Things may not be working out the way I had hoped—at least not yet—but I’m going to keep trusting that God has something good up His sleeve. “We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

• I may not be perfect, but I’m special to God because He gave me a unique mind, a unique personality, unique abilities, and a unique destiny. “I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works” (Psalm 139:14).

• Nothing can come between me and God’s love. “I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38–39).

• I have nothing to fear because God is love and He is always with me. “Perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18).

• God wants me to be happy and enjoy life. “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15:11).

• Today I’m going to think more about others and less about myself, and I’m going to make someone else’s day better. “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).

• I am not going to give up! I refuse to call it quits! Jesus promised that His strength is there for me as long as I keep trying. “Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart” (Galatians 6:9).

• I may not have as much materially as some people, but I have things that matter more—integrity and peace of mind. “Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6).

• God wants to guide me through today and help me make the very most of it. “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know” (Jeremiah 33:3).

• God will help me make the right decisions. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5).

These aren’t mere random, feel-good statements that don’t have any solid foundation. Each is based directly on one of God’s unfailing promises, and what He has promised, He will also perform. With God, there are no limits!

No comments :