Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Sun Still Shines

As far back as I can remember, I didn’t like cloudy days, especially in wintertime. They seemed endless and without hope, chilling both body and soul.

Still, they are a part of life, so I decided to learn to like them—and now I do. My secret? Actually I have several.

Sometimes I take advantage of those days to bake a cake, cookies, or some other treat to enjoy with my coffee. The entire house smells of freshly brewed coffee and homemade goodies, and that creates a warm, satisfied feeling.

I’ve also learned that I can help brighten the day by what I wear, like a favorite brightly colored sweater or a little extra jewelry.

Most of all I’ve learned to thank God for those days. I’m still not crazy about them, but I have a warm house that doesn’t leak, a cozy bed, food on the table, and someone to enjoy my blessings with.

Not too long ago, I was out on one of those gloomy days. Although it was overcast, I didn’t expect it to actually rain, so hadn’t taken an umbrella. Mid-morning I was 25 blocks from home when I was caught in a downpour. By the time I got home, I was sure I had more water in my clothes and hair than was left in the clouds. A hot shower and lunch put it all behind me, though, and I felt much better.

When I had been caught in the rain, I had prayed for all the people who were at that moment victims of some disaster. Not a disaster like burning the chicken or having their hair dye turn out wrong—I mean a real disaster like being left homeless by an earthquake, with no hot shower, dry clothes, and warm meal to set things right.

When bad weather or some other circumstance has you down, praying for others who have it worse puts things in perspective and does the soul good, like a hot shower warms the body after getting caught in the rain, or the smell of homemade cake lifts the gloom of a dark day. When we remember that we have a very big God who sees and knows everything, who loves us dearly, and who will never let us be tested beyond what He knows we can handle with His help, this lifts the spirit, like the aroma of freshly brewed coffee.

Even when the sky is overcast, the sun is still shining above the clouds. That’s a fact. The clouds might keep us from seeing it, but it’s there, just as round and bright as on any other day. When darkness closes in around us, the sunshine of God’s love is still there, as constant as ever, waiting for just the right moment to dissipate the clouds and warm our souls once again.



Romans 15:13 ESV – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Romans 8:24 ESV - For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?

Jeremiah 17:7 ESV - Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord.

No comments :